Wednesday, November 20, 2013

2013 Capitol Christmas Tree...

I needed to run to the grocery store this evening and it was pretty late.  I let Amelia go with me and we had the best time.  It became a little date night with my girl.  It was fun to let her stay up past her bedtime and eat sugary things.  She thought she was so cool to be drinking hot cocoa at 10 p.m.

I love to say "yes" to things that she would usually hear "no."  I mean, if I said "yes" every time - it would mean nothing.  And if I said "no" every time - well that's just mean.

Knowing just the right time to say "yes."  Now that can make a four year olds night.

We returned home to package a few thank you gifts and then I finally got her in bed around 11.  I'm sure she'll be raring to go at 7:30 in the morning. ;)

We ended up stopping to see the U.S. Capitol Christmas Tree - they stopped in our area for a few hours and it was a big deal.



The tradition of the Capitol Christmas Tree, or “The People’s Tree,” began in 1964 when Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives John W. McCormack (D-MA) placed a live Christmas tree on the Capitol lawn. This tree lived three years before succumbing to wind and root damage.
In 1970, the capitol architect asked the U.S. Forest Service to provide a Christmas tree. Since then, a different national forest has been chosen each year to provide “The People’s Tree.” This national forest also works with state forests to provide companion trees that are smaller Christmas trees for offices in Washington, D.C.
2013 will mark the second time that Washington state has provided the Capitol Christmas Tree. In 2006, a Pacific silver fir was provided from the Olympic National Forest.
I watched a Hallmark movie last year about the National Christmas Tree and thought it would be neat to go see the tree for 2013!  You can track the tree as it makes it's 5000+ mile journey from Washington state to Washington, DC  Their next stop will be Nashville, TN.


Amelia signing her name on the truck carrying the tree. 


Our names


They had an orchestra playing Christmas carols 
and pastry chefs helping kiddos decorate Christmas tree cookies.
Amelia liked this part.


Amelia decorated a cookie and then asked to eat my plain cookie without icing or sprinkles.
I knew that would happen.


Aunt Joy stopped by to see us and the tree! 


They had glass windows at the end of the truck that allowed you to see the tree.  
The rest was completely covered.  
We love some Christmas lights.


They'll light the tree on December 6th at 5:00 p.m.


It was a fun evening with my Amelia.  
She needed that one-on-one time with Mama.
And I didn't realize it until tonight, but I needed it too.

Love to all,

No comments: